Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Recollecting

When I last left SL, this was where I was: forum link

I was basically -300k in short-term debts (more close to 500k counting SL obligations) and $1800 in my pocket. Everyone urged me to get a job, but I knew that working for money will not take me anywhere, let alone fulfill my obligations.

Since then, I will be happily married for 3 years at the end of Aug '11 with a beautiful daughter expected then as well. The only sad thing was Timmy, my dog of 15yrs, has passed this world - but will always be remembered.

Professionally, I've managed to do what only 10% of all poker players do - make money. I've logged in 5.5 Million hands between Dec. 08 - April '11 before the poker Black Friday. With rakeback by becoming a Pokerstars Supernova Elite for two years and was about 15% ahead of pace this year year, I managed to generate about $250k through the mentioned period that helped knocked off some debt and help me get life back together:


I actually improved quite a bit towards the end averaging about $100/hr at NL200 on Bodog:


As for Juicetrading, I've managed to find a few local users with a few network that helped carried the project. As a group, I've made our users over 1Mil with me taking a small commission. I am currently at a Net Loss for the project overall, but have a very sophisticated tool that I built from scratch (plus a coder). Here's a screenshot of the tool, which is completely web-based UI. If set right, the software can be left unattended for months and will just arbitrage a user's sportsbetting accounts.

The IT portion of the business will be out of Vietnam (Development, Server Monitoring, etc.). I set that up in '10 while living there for 9 months. That should keep our IT cost low now until I move us to open source and let the public take over.

That takes us to now. Outside of SL, I have managed to rid myself of all of the short-term debts and now have what I feel will be are two safe solid streams of revenue. However, I am going to retire from poker since that was taking away the bulk of my life (6-10hrs a day) to study on Continuous Integration (thanks to an individual). My reason is that I feel I am nearing the top of a parabolic graph in terms of growth vs labor for poker whereas I am only at the starting point of an exponentially increasing graph regarding CI.

My goal/mission from here on out is simple: Make things right & great products free for everyone to use. I don't know how or where to start, but I know God will show me the way.

No comments: